Women and our money

Women are the pivotal transforming agents in our society. Women have to have a voice; otherwise the cycle of poverty just keeps growing.
I always find myself saying " I am a creative person and dont have the patience to deal with money". I realised this thinking must change, for in order to become who we are meant to be, we must take charge of our financial lives.
Take this journey with me and if you have a few tips, please share...

Monday, November 5, 2007

Where do I start? Trading for dummies...

Now, I know for a fact, that most women are like me and not at all savvy about this financial investment stuff. When the dow rises, we just hope it does not mean the bread is ready for the oven.
My option to navigate this market ever so gingerly, is fashion. I am in this business, it interests me and I can read up on it for quite a while before I turn glassy eyed. Pick your industry - my sister is a Pharmacist and I suggested she track drugs" You just do drugs" I gently advised. I truly hate these dummy books- they are stating the obvious.

My friend Shirley is into wines - You just do wines first - I insist. None of these advise quite sounds right.
I opened a dummy portfolio on Yahoo Finance while I continue to research those publicly traded companies and the non. This just means you cannot buy the shares if they are not publicly traded. Hmmm- so, go easy on that Chanel Bag, clothing etc.- they won't give you anything back. On the other hand, Luxottica which handles Chanel sunglasses and prescriptions is.
Also note, a lot of companies that sound vastly different are owned by the same company e.g Kellwood owns Baby Phat, Koret, Claibourne, Nautica,XOXO,Hollywould etc.
While Limited owns Victoria Secret, Limited among many other brands.
In short, do your research!!

Track my starting portfolio - Wow! Retail truly is lousy. Yikes.
Tommorrow, I sign up online.

No comments:

Pocketbooks

Tracking Fashion Stocks